12.2.10

Cornbread

I'm going to a pot luck tonight and my friend Emma said I should bring cornbread because she's bringing chili. So that's that.

I stand right in between the Southern vs. Northern cornbread debate. I don't like mine too sweet, but a hint of sweetness is nice. I also am not looking for the moistness of a cake, but I don't like my cornbread to be dry either. This recipe looked like it had the best of both worlds.

This recipe is adapted from Shauna.

Spelt Cornbread
1 cup white spelt flour
¾ cup cornmeal (like you would use to make polenta)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2 eggs
3 tablespoons maple syrup
2/3 cup plain yogurt
1/3 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons melted butter

Preheat oven to 400°. Grease a square or round baking pan with your favorite oil or butter.

Mix the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set that bowl aside.

Measure out the sour cream, yogurt, maple syrup, and melted butter. Mix them all together. Whisk in the eggs and beat them all together until the liquids have become a coherent mixture.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones and stir it all together until just moistened.

Pour the cornbread batter into the pan and bake the cornbread for twenty minutes, or until the top has reached the golden color you desire. Let it cool for a few moments.

Serve with soft butter and honey.

Serves six.

No comments: