27.2.10

hamantaschen

My sister inspired me to make hamentashen, the traditional cookie for Purim. My favorite filling is the poppyseed one, but I didn't have any poppyseeds, so I used blueberry jam my friends Kat's Dad made. These were good, but I did miss the poppyseed filling. The jam is delicious, but I found it to be a bit too sweet with the sweet cookie. Anyhow, I'll include a filling option for making them with the poppyseed filling. I would also make them with a shortbread type dough (i.e. more butter) if I made them again.

Blueberry Hamantaschen
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla
blueberry jam or poppyseed filling

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
1. Cream butter, sugar and egg in a large bowl.
2. Sift flour and baking powder.
3. Mix a bit of the flour mixture into the creamed butter, then add the milk, then the rest of the flour. Mix in vanilla.
4. Roll out to 1/4 inch thickness and cut into circles. I used a wide-mouth canning jar rim. Lay circles on a sheet pan with parchment paper and fill each with a dollop of filling. Fold in sides so that they for cute little triangles.
5. Bake for 15-30 minutes.

2 comments:

Kyle Lebell said...

Yay! I'm so glad you made 'em! They look perfect!! Mine were really good-- the date filling was bomb. I wuv you, Mish.

Unknown said...

Your Hamentaschen look Beautiful and sound delicious. We resorted to store bought from the Grand Bakery in Oakland--Apricot, raspberry, poppy seed assortment. They were so good and we had a wonderful purim. I dressed up as a Japanese princess in a new kimono Chris got me. Love you Mish. Mama