21.2.10

Chocolate chip cookies and friends

First off, I have a great chocolate chip cookie recipe for ya'll. I believe it's adapted from Sherry Yard; I've made these cookies so many times I have the recipe memorized. These are everything a chocolate chip cookie should be, chewy, a little crispy on the edges, sweet, and chocolaty. I learned a technique at the last rest restaurant I worked at in order to get a chewy, as opposed to cakey cookie, with those lovely cracks.

The secret is to take the cookies out of the oven half way through the baking process and slam the sheet pan down on the counter a few times, then put them back in the oven and slam them down a final time when you take them out again. I was so excited when I learned this; it's so simple, but makes a huge difference--you're cookies will never be the same again.

Chocolate Chip Cookies
4oz unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup plus 2 tbs sugar
1/2 cup plus 2 tbs brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
7 oz chocolate chips (a little over 1 cup)

Preheat oven to 350 and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper
1. Sift flour, baking soda, and salt, set aside
2. In a standing mixer or by hand cream butter until pale yellow, about 2 minutes
3. Add sugars and vanilla and cream on medium speed until smooth
4. Add egg and mix on low until just incorporate, about 30 seconds
5. Add flour, BS, and salt and mix on low until just mixed, do not over mix
6. mix in chocolate chips
7. Roll into 2oz balls, about 2 inches in diameter, I find 1 sheet pan holds 10 cookies if you stagger them.
8. Bake for about 8 minutes, slam down in the counter until cracked a bit, and spread. Rotate and alternate sheet pans on oven racks and back another 4 minutes. Slam down again and let cool.
We got our first day of good weather in a long time. We were all ridiculously happy. It finally feels like Spring may actually come one day. I sure hope so.

Off to enjoy the sunshine. If you don't have sunshine, I'm very sorry, but at least you can go bake these cookies; they are debatably as good as sunshine.

No comments: